“We can put you into the story. The medium isn’t real. The experience it creates in me is what’s real.” ~ Zander Greene, Fantasy Faire The Drax Files : World Makers Episode 4
Returning to Fantasy Faire this year are our LitFest Tours, leaving daily at 5.00pm from our home base on Trollhaugen to explore the Fairelands.
We invite you to put your Fantasy Faire experience into words. The Faire is brimming with stories: breathtaking builds and fantastical creations designed to touch your heart and soul. What stories will they inspire in you?
The following pages will contain tour guide notes. On each regions tour day, a link will be activated. Check back here every day (except 28th May) to gain access to inspirational writer’s prompts, one region at a time!
Tour 1: Thursday 18th April 5pm: Faireholm
Tour 2: Friday 19th April 5pm: Light of Va’loth
Tour 3: Saturday 20th April 5pm: Nightshade Blossoms
Tour 4: Sunday 21st April 5pm: Sanguinely Garden
Tour 5: Monday 22nd April 5pm: Bayounimba
Tour 6: Tuesday 23rd April 5pm: The Shrine Tree
Tour 7: Wednesday 24th April 5pm: The Department of Discarded Curiosities
Tour 8: Thursday 25th April 5pm: Twilight Spring
Tour 9: Friday 26th April 5pm: Tensors’ Flying Market
Tour 10: Saturday 27th April 5pm: Midas
Sunday, 28th April – No Tour Today
Tour 11: Monday 29th April 5pm: Fairelands Junction
Tour 12: Tuesday 30th April 5pm: Urafiki
Tour 13: Wednesday 1st May 2pm: Genesia (note special time)
Tour 14: Thursday 2nd May 5pm: Trollhaugen
Tour 15: Friday 3rd May 5pm: The Celestial Plain
Tour 16: Saturday 4th May 5pm: Thornfast
How does the writing challenge work?
- People join their guide at the top of the session, and travel to one of the sixteen unique fantasy regions. With the aid of a guide and a specially created guide card, they explore the region and open themselves up to what inspires them, what detail or overall impression sparks a poem, micro-fiction, or short story.
- Then they return to the LitFest home base in Trollhaugen (or a personal quiet space) and realize in words the narrative and feelings inspired by the region featured.
- Finally, they share their work by submitting their pieces – either inworld or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org – to be posted online along with others inspired by the same region. Inworld, drop a notecard into the LitFest Tours Submissions postboxes located at the main transport site, as well as at event and writer’s spots throughout Trollhaugen.
- To have your story included on the Fantasy Faire blog, submit it within 2 days of the region tour – until the end of May 5th. Stories received after the deadlines until the end of 31st May will still be archived in our Tales pages, but cannot be featured on the live blog.
- Some of the these tales will be chosen for broadcast on Fantasy Faire Radio, and may also appear on the Fantasy Faire channel on You Tube. Writers are asked: If you do NOT wish your work broadcast, please indicate this on your submission.
- Individual writers retain creative ownership of works shared.
As visitors find themselves inspired to write after touring the regions, these pages will showcase their submissions. A linked page indicates that at least one story has been posted for you to enjoy. Please note that pages will not be linked until after their tour has been completed.
Tales From Faireholm
Tales From Light of Va’loth
Tales From Nightshade Blossoms
Tales From Sanguinely Garden
Tales From Bayounimba
Tales From The Shrine Tree
Tales From The Department of Discarded Curiosities
Tales From Twilight Spring
Tales From Tensors’ Flying Market
Tales From Midas
Tales From Fairelands Junction
Tales From Urafiki
Tales From Genesia
Tales From Trollhaugen
Tales From The Celestial Plain
Tales From Thornfast